Watermelon is one of the quintessential tastes of summer. Would it be summer if you didn’t bite into a wedge of the deep, red fruit while feeling the trickle of the cool, sticky juice running down your chin? Well, you don’t have to get sticky with this recipe. Toss your watermelon chunks into this refreshing summer salad for a delicious meal or side dish. It’s perfect to bring to a potluck or a to serve as a cold dinner on a steamy day.
Summer Watermelon Salad
by Gluten-Free Cat
- 3 or 4 medium tomatoes on the vine, cored and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2-3 cups of 3/4-inch-cubed red seedless watermelon
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup of thinly sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 T. fresh lime juice
- 2 T. fresh basil and parsley, chopped
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 T. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lettuce (optional)
1. Place the onion slices in a small bowl with the lime juice, and let it stand for 10 minutes to temper the flavor of the raw onion.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, and let it sit for one to two hours in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to mix well.
3. Serve the mixture alone or on top of tender green lettuce leaves. Tear pieces of lettuce and place them in the bottom of a large bowl. Spoon the watermelon and tomato mixture on top of the lettuce pieces. Drizzle with the remaining juices and serve.
Enjoy your remaining days of summer!
For more recipes by Gluten-Free Cat, see here.